Granola. You can easily buy a box in the store, but if you have an affinity for making all things from home like I do, then this is a pretty simple recipe to throw together. I will warn you, this is NOT a very sweet granola. So if you like a little more sweet, I would consider throwing in 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar. I make this on a Sunday afternoon while my boys are napping. I brew a fresh cup of coffee, turn on a podcast, and enjoy the sweet smell of fresh baked granola. I grab handfuls for a snack throughout the week or enjoy on a sliced banana with almond milk for breakfast.
The crunchy nuts, flakes of coconut, and sweet dates are just all the right things mixed together. I know hazelnuts can be a bit pricier, but if you can snag some- they really are such a treat in the mix. So, enjoy this simple recipe, and mix it up with whatever you enjoy!
+6 Cups Whole Rolled Oats
+ 1/3 Cup Ground Flaxseed
+ 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
+ 1 Cup Whole Almonds (I use dry roasted with 50% salt)
+ 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
+ 1/3 Cup ChoppedWalnuts
+ 1/3 Cup Hazelnuts
+ 1/3 Cup Water
+ 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
+ 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
+ 1/2 Cup Honey
+ 2/3 Cups Coconut Chips
+ 2/3 Cups Chopped Dates
• Preheat Oven to 350F and set aside a large rimmed baking sheet or 2 9x13 pans.
• Mix together all the dry ingredients (except for the coconut chips and dates) in a large mixing bowl.
• In a small bowl, mix together all the wet ingredients until well incorporated.
• Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and mix with a large wooden spoon (or your hands if you’re feeling wild). Dump into an even layer on the baking sheet and pop it in that hot oven.
• While the granola cooks, prep coconut chips and chop the dates. Place in bowl together.
• The granola will need about 1 hour to bake. After 30 minutes, pull out the tray and stir the granola then put it back. At 40 minutes you can add the coconut and dates, stir, and return to oven.
• Once it is golden brown it is done! Let it cool before storing in airtight container or jars.
It is absolutely delicious with sliced fruit, plain greek yogurt, or whatever kind of milk you enjoy.
* This is NOT a very sweet granola. So if you like a little more sweet, I would consider throwing in 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar.